On behalf of the Department for Education, we have launched a new Children and Young People's Advisory Board to provide valuable input on the government’s implementation of its children’s social care strategy ‘Stable Homes, Built on Love’.
The new Advisory Board, made up of groups of children and young people aged 11-17 and 18-25 with direct experience of children’s social care in England, will bring together those with lived experiences of the system to play a part in ongoing reforms at a national and local level.
The Children and Young People’s Advisory Board will initially run until March 2025, and aims to recruit a wide range of ‘experts by experience’, including those who have had a social worker, as well as those who are looked after or care leavers.
Who can be part of the social care advisory groups?
This is a fantastic opportunity open to young people aged 11-25 who have experience of children’s social care, including:
- children in care and young adults up to age 25 with care experience
- siblings of care experienced children and young people
- unaccompanied asylum-seeking children and young people
- children and young people who have ever had a social worker
- children and young people who have been a “child in need” under the Children Act 1989
- children and young people who have been on a child protection plan
- children and young people with experience of kinship care
- children and young people whose parents are foster carers
There are no costs to being a member! All travel and expenses for meetings are covered by NCB, including travel costs for a trusted person to accompany you if needed.
What are members expected to do?
- There will be 3 in-person meetings per year based in our London office held termly on Saturdays.
- There will be a series of online meetings lasting approximately 2 hours each.
- There will be other optional opportunities offered during this time.
What are the benefits of being a member?
- Members get vouchers for taking part.
- You will have your voices heard on issues which are important to you and help shape the future of children’s social care both at a national and local level.
- You will learn valuable new skills and meet new people.
- You will have access to other exciting opportunities, such as leading workshops for professionals, recording podcasts, interviewing new staff, and speaking to Members of Parliament.
How do I apply?
You can apply easily by filling in the short application form below. The deadline for applications is 15th February 2024.
If you would prefer to submit your application by audio clip or video, send us a recording answering the following information:
- Tell us a little bit about you including your age, where you are from and your experience of children’s social care.
- Are you currently involved in any youth work related to your care experience? E.g., Children in Care Councils
Please include your name, contact details and any access requirements we should be aware of in the body of the email and send this to [email protected].
Please note, the 18-25 year-old board is now fully recruited. We are still recruiting for the 11-17 year-old board.
Do you have any further questions?
If you have any questions or want to talk to someone before applying, please email [email protected]