As part of our role as Strategic Reform Partner to the Department for Education, the Council for Disabled Children have been delivering regional ‘Social Care and the SEND reforms’ training to team managers, social workers and early help practitioners. Based on feedback from these sessions and from our wider social care networks it is clear that some of the trickier social care challenges require a multi-agency approach to identify potential solutions that are adaptable to different LA contexts.
As such CDC have worked with a group of social workers to develop a social care audit tool to support local areas to identify and evidence their strengths as well as areas for improvement.
The purpose of this workshop is to bring together multi-agency local area teams across social care, education and health. Bookings will be taken per area for up to 5 attendees including a parent carer representative. By pooling a range of experience and expertise, each workshop will identify and develop practical solutions that can make a real impact.
This solution-focused workshop will focus on up to three key social care challenges across a number of themes, such as:
- Securing good social care advice
- Identifying social care needs as part of the EHC assessment and planning process
- Links to social care assessments and planning (e.g. LAC, PEP, CiN, CP plans and transition assessments)
- Cross team engagement in the EHC needs assessment process
- Local offer and short breaks
- The role of early help
- Joint commissioning
Each local area group will leave the session with a clear set of actions to move forward a particular challenge and CDC will support progress by sharing resources, identifying examples of national practice and facilitating the workshop.
- Up to 5 people from each LA including social care, SEN, Health, EHC plan writers and a parent carer.
- We recommend a mix of strategic and operational representation and if you anticipate focusing on a particular issue such as joint commissioning that you ensure a Commissioner is part of your team.